Rate begins at .013 per word
Ready for the next step after line editing? Want to add a greater level of polish to your manuscript?
I reserve this service for authors whose manuscripts have been through other levels of editing or for very seasoned authors who desire a higher level of finish. Please let me know what professional work has already been done on your manuscript and a little about your background as an author when you contact me for copyediting.
Basic Copyediting includes 1 pass. Most manuscripts will benefit from a second consecutive pass. A double-pass copyedit begins at .018 per word.
Copyediting focuses on these areas:
- Consistency of spelling, hyphenation, names, and facts (is your main character a blonde in one chapter and a redhead in another?)
- Grammar and spelling
- Word repetition and wordiness
- Word choice
- Adherence to current style manuals (Chicago Manual of Style, Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, Garner’s Modern American Usage, and more)
- Number usage
- Proper handling of dialogue and dialogue tags
- Overused adverbs and adjectives
When you’re finished incorporating all edits, you’ll still need proofreading. It’s a good idea to have a “third set of eyes” for this stage. A friend or family member with a keen eye can be helpful, or I can refer you to a proofreader.
The per-word rate listed is a starting rate. I will individualize your quote based on a manuscript assessment and brief sample edit, so I can determine how long it will take to complete your project. All editing quotes reflect my hourly rate of $45 plus an administrative fee. There is a $47 minimum for all projects.
Please note: although no quality editor will guarantee completely error-free work, I’ll make every effort to return a manuscript that’s as clean as possible.