What sets me apart
I’m an experienced editor and have been working with words for more than 30 years. I have edited close to 200 books for indie authors, traditional authors, and publishers. Not only am I a highly trained editor with a specialized editing certificate, I’m also a published poet and writer with a strong promotional background.
Plenty of people who love to read can call themselves a “freelance editor,” but not all have the proven talent, training, and skill needed to help you build better stories. Book editing takes more than good grades in English and a childhood passion for books (although I can’t deny having both).
I have worked as an editor for independent publishing houses and magazine publishers and as a newspaper reporter. I’ve also worked in book marketing and as a writer/editor at award-winning communications firms in the NYC area.
When you hire me, you get the best of both worlds to help you craft your best work: the skills of a trained, seasoned editor combined with the creativity of an imaginative writer. Add in my promotional experience, and you have a wealth of talent at your fingertips.
What I edit
I edit fiction, book cover blurbs, and book synopses. My clients include indie authors, hybrid authors, authors seeking traditional publication, and small presses. I have substantial experience guiding authors through the self-publishing process and am eager to share my knowledge with authors of all stripes: new, emerging, and established.
Many of the books I’ve edited are best sellers and several are award winners and finalists. I edit fiction in the genres listed below:
- Young Adult (YA)
- Science Fiction and Speculative Fiction
- New Adult (NA)
- Middle Grade (MG)
Where I’ve trained
My training reflects a continued drive to remain up-to-date on subjects related to publishing:
- Bachelor of Arts, English, Rutgers University
- Specialized Certificate in Copyediting, University of California-San Diego: studies included copyediting, line editing, and substantive editing
- Introduction to Developmental Editing: Book-Length Fiction and Creative Nonfiction, the Author-Editor Clinic
- Intermediate Developmental Editing of Fiction, Editorial Freelancers Association
- Fiction Writing, Level I, Gotham Writers’ Workshop
- Visualize Your Story: an Instagram Workshop for Writers and Editors
- Webinars and social media events for publishing professionals
- Membership in respected online groups for editing professionals
I am a co-founder of the Association of Independent Publishing Professionals (AIPP) and a member of ACES: The Society for Editing. You can view my CV on LinkedIn here.
Tools I use
- Microsoft Word Track Changes
- Adobe Acrobat
- Final Draft screenwriting software
- Chicago Manual of Style
- Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate
- Garner’s Modern American Usage
- The Copyeditor’s Handbook
- Oxford English Dictionary (online)
- Oxford Canadian Dictionary
- The Associated Press Stylebook
- A full library of grammar and fiction craft reference books
More about me
I’m an avid rock and roll fan and wrote song lyrics in my teens before switching to poetry. I once sang lead in a punk band and walked away from a decades-old dream of becoming a rock critic because I had to pay the rent. My poetry and short fiction have been traditionally published. I am a tea fanatic, sushi addict, yoga devotee, and avid kayaker. Born and raised in the Bronx, I now live in the country, but I haven’t lost my city girl accent or attitude.
I look forward to helping you Build Better Stories.