Rate is based on copyediting levels below.
Want to add greater polish, accuracy, and consistency to your writing? I offer authors, entrepreneurs, professionals, and marketers three levels of copyediting for books, promotional materials, blog articles, personal bios, reports, web content, product descriptions, and more.
Rate may be discussed depending on the quality of your writing and whether it has been through other levels of professional editing first.
For book manuscripts only, one pass starts at .015 per word. Includes thirty minutes of follow-up time. Additional passes or checking changes is an additional charge.
For book manuscripts only, two consecutive passes start at .019 per word. A two-pass copyedit increases the chance of finding and fixing more errors. Includes one hour of follow-up time.
For promotional materials, blog articles, personal bios, LinkedIn profiles, web content, and more, copyediting is $50 per hour. Follow-up time is billed hourly.
Copyediting focuses on these areas:
- Word repetition and wordiness
- Word choice
- Incorrect sentence construction
- Consistency of spelling, hyphenation, names, and facts (is your main character a blonde in one chapter and a redhead in another?)
- Grammar and spelling
- Adherence to current style manuals (Chicago Manual of Style Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, Garner’s Modern American Usage, Christian Writer’s Manual of Style, Associated Press Stylebook, and more)
- Number usage
- Minor fact checking via Google
- Proper handling of dialogue and dialogue tags
- Overused adverbs and adjectives
When you’re finished incorporating all edits, you’ll still need proofreading. You may prefer to have a “third set of eyes” for this stage. I can refer you to a proofreader, or you can check out my proofreading service.
The per-word rate listed is a starting rate. I will individualize your quote based on a manuscript assessment and brief sample edit, so I can determine how long it will take to complete your project. All editing quotes reflect my hourly rate of $50. There is a $75 minimum for all projects.
Please note: although no quality editor will guarantee completely error-free work, I’ll make every effort to return a manuscript that’s as clean as possible.